Saturday, 11 February 2012

Ryan and I have now gotten settled into a schedule with work and trying to go to the gym. Trying is certainly the keyword. Ryan is going into the market more, taking the motorcycles with the sales reps, so here is our first showing of how crazy the traffic is here:



And I looked sweet:


Also, this caused some major delays


Ryan has made a friend with a Rickshaw driver.

One day I got off the Metro (train) and got a bicycle driver to take me home. Before we left, we agreed upon 30 Rs. ($0.60). When we got to the house, as he was giving me my change, he left me 10 Rs. short and tried to get me to give him 10 more. Smiling, he finally gave me my change and turned to another rickshaw driver to say something that I can only imagine was "Had to try with the white boy."

A couple of days later, as I got in again, I decided to walk home. Several of the rickshaw drivers were yelling at me to come with them, but one in particular got up smiling and yelling. He held up three fingers so I remembered the 30, so I had to take him. I ended up giving him 40 (an extra $0.20 for laughing the whole way.

Bhaina (older brother, Renu's cousin), Renu and I were leaving the grocery store and walking to the car and there was a rickshaw driver waiting. Sure enough, the same guy puts up three fingers. He was very disappointed to see I had a car this time, but it's funny to see him recognize me around the city.

Ryan and I spent the weekend working on a website and watching movies. What goes better with that than pizza? Tuni, the house help, told us in Hindi that she was going to the market. We said "acha" ("good") and she left. We ordered pizza from Dominoes (I know it's a crime in the US haha) but it's actually a lot better here! As the delivery boy rang the door bell and Ryan went to open the door I heard him start cracking up. We then realized that Tuni had actually locked us IN to the apartment!! So we stood on one side with the money and the delivery boy stood on the other with the pizza. So after we laughed for a while Ryan slipped the money under the door and we convinced him to leave the pizza (in broken Hindi and English) we waited for Tuni to come home. We warmed up the pizza and it tasted better than ever!




While Ashish bhaina got a haircut we got lured in by a familiar scent. We just couldn't help ourselves. We went to Subway. The prices weren't as good as I thought they'd be ($3 for 6-inch) but it was the EXACT same as home. Sometimes it is very nice to be able to get back that home feel. Miss you all.



Also, requisite picture of a cow. This guy was a MONSTER, but extremely "skinny."

No comments:

Post a Comment